Saturday, January 9, 2010

New Year

When I was a little girl my mother had us believe that how we brought the New Year in is how we would spend the entire year. This is why when the clock struck midnight, we would be together as a family, in church, holding a candle and singing “Walk in the Light…Beautiful Light….”…there are some unmentionable years that this belief had no validity…and more then ever I am believing in its untruth again this year!

We are only nine days into the new year and I have spent 4 of those (including new years eve night) @ Children’s Hospital. What a bust.

On any given night by 7:30pm, my house is quiet. All children have been fed, bathed or something like it, pottied, read to, kissed and tucked….again or something like it! In all honesty, some days my husband and I are looking forward to 7:30 pm starting at 7:00 am. Get the picture…..this is one routine that we do not like to have broken. So imagine how I felt on New Years Eve at 10:40 when I heard a baby crying.

Earlier in the evening Camryn had not seemed well, so Jonathan went to church (the thought was at least one of us would bring the new year in right!) and I stayed home. I was busy chatting away on facebook and enjoying not having to share the remote when I heard her start to scream. Because this is such a rarity, I immediately went to check on her. I could her breathing before I opened the door.

I panicked. Turned on the hot shower, called Jonathan, called the nurse and prepared to head to the ER. I didn’t know what, but I knew an 8 month old shouldn’t sound like that.

So anyway to make a long story short, she had RSV, a respiratory virus young babies are prone to. She spent two nights in the hospital…a week later, we repeated this exact routine with Olivia.

They are recovering well…and we have remained surprisingly sane and at peace. The kind of peace that makes YOU wonder what’s wrong with YOU.

I was not sure why I posted the grateful blog the other night, 4 months after I originally wrote it, but I am so glad I did. I thought maybe I was posting it for some other struggling mom and maybe it helped there too but now I know it was a needed reminder for me before I even knew I needed it. I am so glad to serve a God who knows what I need better then I do!

Now that I think about it, maybe I did start the new year in a way that I intend to spend it. Being obedient to and relying on God to handle the rest!

No comments: