Thursday, May 31, 2007

Cry it out

This blog entry contains information about the babies that grandparents, aunts and uncles may not be able to handle...read at your own risk...haha

I mentioned a while ago about the lack of sleep that I have been getting lately. Well unfortunately that is still the case and I have to admit that it has taken its toll. Besides the permanent bags under my eyes and the fact that I love sleep, it’s gotten even worse; I simply am no good in the morning and sometimes for the entire day! I am cranky, short and a bit lazy, closing my eyes every second I get and dragging myself out of the house only when absolutely necessary. So we decided something NEEDED to be done...

Ok.... so for about a month now I have undertaken different infant sleeping strategies and techniques trying to give her time to work it out on her own. They have included topping her off at mid-night and even asking my dear husband to sleep in the guest room because I was convinced his snoring was the problem!!

After none of these worked, I half-heartedly attempted letting her "cry it out." I even started sleeping in the living room with her so that while crying it out she would not wake up Alena. This was a complete mess and a failure...I could only stand about 3 min of an occasional yelp before I would decide it was easiest to just go on and pick her up. Not only was I tired and miserable, now I was sore...

Finally last night I decided to put on my head gear and boxing gloves. It was on! Kaitlyn and I would go at it all night if needed. This adorable tiny poopy butt baby was not going to control our nights anymore! Funny how she was not the only one who ended up in tears.

That’s right I let her CRY-IT-OUT and I joined her. We moved her to the living room at about eleven. I gave her a good feed, snuggled a bit, laid her down and went to bed (in the bedroom). As expected at about 3:30 she was up. I checked on her, patted her butt and left. She was MAD! Not even crying just shouting at me. I came back…stepped over Jonathan who had posted himself on the hallway floor as a form of support to help me stay strong…and patted her butt again. She was for lack of a better word, PISSED. I went back to bed. Well not quite. There is nothing like listening to your baby scream and not comforting them. So yes as she cried it out so did I.

After a little bit she was sound asleep and slept peacefully until we woke her at 9:30 this morning.

Often times in life we find ourselves in the middle of miserable, uncomfortable and upsetting situations that we feel we have no control over. The longer we put off addressing them the more miserable, uncomfortable and upset we become. We even let it filter into our mornings, days and before we know we are living a lifestyle which is controlled by our circumstances. We can half-heartedly address these situations but it only gets messier. It’s not until we get serious about a change that things will actually change. Some things require an all night fight and a little support to keep us strong. And no matter what, we need to be determined to “cry-it out!” I promise the tears won't last for long.

ummm now let’s see what happens tonight….

8 comments:

Shaneia said...

O my goodness, oh my goodness, you are dealing with the mommy blues..and Jonathan posted up on the hallway floor...now that is unprecedented support...She'll be on her way to sleeping through the night in no time...
Whats funny about this blog is I was just speaking to one of my really good friends about moderation and "crying it ou" if you will not too long ago..I told her that it is hard to finally look a situation in the eye and say "I NEED TO MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN, I NEED TO MAKE A CHANGE.." and that is exactly what this is about..states away and lives apart...life is life and the lessons are so similar.

rashad said...

I sleep about 3 hours a night, so when my son was an infant, I used to look at him being awake in the middle of the night as a challenge. I'd sit right there with him during those wee night hours and play and laugh, and then around 4 he'd sleep, and I'd fall asleep shortly thereafter. Granted, that was when I was 22, 23 years. I'm 32 now, and if he pulled a stunt like that, I'd beat him like there was no tomorrow.

Unknown said...

i have a tendency to forget that babies cry a lot when looking at one and wishing i had a baby. thank you for reminding me that being a parent is hard - haha...and the life lesson about needing to cry it out sometimes.

Chrystal said...

Hey Wynter...I just tagged you. Check out my blog from today 6/1

Jenn said...

This is good. You are soo right about facing the situation, problem or whatever the case maybe. You have to apply what you want to happen or at least try....

You never know unless you try is what my dad always said...

Anonymous said...

It was certainly interesting for me to read the blog. Thank you for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read this post. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

good points and the details are more specific than somewhere else, thanks.

- Norman