Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Dreams and Little Letters...

A friend of mine just asked me what my wildest dream was. After thinking long and hard I came up with.........

That's right, I came up with nothing. I have learned that whenever I get what I think I want, I realize that I already had what I wanted, haha....

After telling her what I came up with, she sent me parts of a commencement speech made by an all time favorite Ms. Oprah Winfrey. To sum up the speech Oprah was saying she did a show called "Wildest Dream Tour." You know how it goes, she asked people to submit their wildest dreams and she would fulfill them.

She goes on to say that they had a hard time finding enough dreams to fulfill and that women are so damaged that they lack vision. They did manage to pay some bills, send a few ladies on a trip and buy a couple of homes. They also had a few ladies whose wildest dream was to meet her. After seeing what she did for the other ladies, the ladies who simply wanted to meet her were upset. She summed up her point with, "They did not dream big enough."

I realize I may sound like I don't like Oprah, but I do. However I think I disagree with this concept. I think the women who whose dream was to meet her had the right idea. To me a wildest dream is something that would be nice to have happen but I have no control over it. Why would I dream that someone would pay my bills? Although that would be lovely, for it to be my wildest dream simply means I don't think its possible for me to accomplish this and to me that says a lack of vision....

OK topic change!!! What I really wanted to tell you tonight is that I am so proud of my little Alena..and myself! I, oops correction: WE have managed to teach her (keep in mind she just turned 3 in April) how to write the letters: "M", "P", "F", "E", "H", "A", "L", and "T." She can also run off a list of words that begin with "M," "P", and "F" and give you a bible story that matches!!!!! I am having such a proud mommy night and just wanted to share :-)

5 comments:

Shaneia said...

I agree, I think their wildest dream was to meet her thinking that she would give them insight into how to make their lives better, you know, give a person a fish they eat for a day, teach them to fish they eat for a lifetime sort of thing. For those who wanted to have a lifetime of goals met, they thought meeting Oprah would give them that based on something that she may disclose. They dont realize they are looking for that insight in the wrong place.
Also, Congrats on ALL THOSE LETTERS!!! She's gonna be blogging in no time. What a smart cookie..You should be having a proud mommy moment

rashad said...

There are some people who are so used to not having much, that they are a bit timid when it comes to stating what they DO want. they don't quite understand their parameters, but that shouldn't be held against them. they probably CAN dream bigger

Chrystal said...

What a smart MOMMY Alena has :)

Unknown said...

i think it's gets harder to dream big as you get older. for example having a need met is not necessarily a dream like having your bills paid.

when i think of a dream, especially my wildest dream, it's something so fantastic that it would almost be impossible for me to do without help (if that makes sense). but it defintely gets harder as you get older to dream. i once asked my mother, what was/is one of her dreams and she couldn't think of anything at first. she later said it was for me to be happy. both the first and the second response made me sad b/c my mother no longer had dreams for herself and lacked the vision to think of anything for herself. greatest hope is that i never stop dreaming.

congrats, to my buddy alena. you and jonathan have one smart little girl.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.